Translation for your convience

Monday, January 15, 2018

DIY MFA Book Club Prompt What fuels your creativity?

I spent today with a good friend, her children (twin boys), and my daughter. We went to the North Carolina Aquarium at Pine Knoll Shores. I had a great time watching the twins oogle over the displays. We all loved watching the Sea Otters play in and around their pool. The boys came up soaked as they touched rays, a nurse shark, pet a starfish, and handled conch, a crab, and hermit crabs. I had fun watching the turtles and felt the peace of the ocean as large, ominous, fish swam by.





What fuels my creativity? Visits like this one to an Aquarium or to a natural wonder such as the Everglades. In other words, Nature. Listening to children's discussions and/or playing dialogue. Something that tickles my muse when I'm reading (a book, an article, or an advertisement, listening to a song, or reading a passage in the scriptures)

For something different, I sometimes use prompts from various sources, ie Alexa, putting 'writing prompts' in google search and picking a website, or two, including this one I discovered today--the diyMFAWriter Igniter website app. Try it and let me know how it goes.

I belonged to Marjorie Doughty's Lamplighter's Writing Group and one of it's members would bring in pictures and lists of prompts. If we wanted to read from his prompts we'd pick a prompt or picture and bring the story the next week. He had some pretty good thought provoking prompts. I miss him. He left the world the summer of 2017. Landolphe Burglass d'Aquin-B. Mick, my friend, I miss you. Your quick exit has left a huge hole. See you on the other side.

I rarely, but have used journaling to fuel my creativity. One such journal entry resulted in my Children's Book, Ten Little Gator Eggs.


Want to join me and over 3,000 authors on Facebook as we 'Word Nerds Unite' and participate in the diyMFA Book Club? Click here.

Don't forget to stop by "Ten Little Gator Eggs" and Botanical Aquaponics on your way. And check out the diyMFA website. It's full of information and workable ideas to help you:
  • Finish that draft once and for all
  • Craft a story that your readers will LOVE
  • Make that publishing dream a reality
So check them out. You won't be sorry, but you'll have to make room on your plate.
Books I'm reading:
diyMFA by Gabriela Pereira, Jacquelyn Mitchard
Dark Witch by Nora Roberts
Conquering Hope by Kionne L. McGhee
It Cannoli Be Murder by Karoline Barrett

Recently finished:

The Host by Stephanie Meyer
Prophecy of the Dragon by Mike Shelton (waiting for his next book)
Cordelia's Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold

2 comments:

Samantha Bryant said...

*LOVE* that aquarium. I'm too far inland to go more than once or twice a year, but I always see something amazing.

@mirymom1 from
Balancing Act

Author Dennise Sleeper said...

Thank you for leaving a comment.

Twice a year, Martin Luther King Jr and Veteran's Day, it's free to visit and so I decided to check it out. Never been there before. I loved it. I'm from Robersonville (Greenville area) so the trip was only about 1 1/2 hours. Definitely plan more visits.