Translation for your convience

Friday, January 12, 2018

Prompt #3 diyMFA Book Club What's Your Storytelling Superpower?

Today's prompt sent us to one of those quizzes. Yes, those quizzes I don't usually take. I took this one so I could answer the prompt. Why don't you try it? Quiz: Storytelling Superpower.  I saw lots of writing prompts. It's worth it just for those.

So many choices I had a difficult time deciding. This is why I don't get hired by companies that ask you the same question 10 million different ways in their online application. But we're not going there, today.

Before I reveal my Superpower, let's look at the cheat sheet and see if you can figure mine out. You can find the Superpower Cheat Sheet here. 

The cheat sheet says:

Character-type: There are two primary character archetypes, the everyman and the larger-than-life hero. The everyman is a regular person caught extraordinary circumstances and must rise to the occasion in order to overcome the odds. On the other hand, the larger-than-life characters may seem all-powerful, but they also have some vulnerability that humanizes them.

Desire/Want: What does the protagonist want? This question is what drives the story forward. All wants or desires fall into one of two basic categories: the character either wants to change something or preserve something. This primary impulse--either change or preservation--will affect your character's choices and development throughout the story.

Based on Character-type and desire or want, there are four possible outcomes.
  1. The Underdog whose character-type is the everyman and whose desire/want is change.
  2. The Disrupter whose character-type is larger-than-life and whose desire/want is change.
  3. The Survivor whose character-type is the everyman and whose desire/want is to preserve.
  4. The Protector whose character-type is larger-than-life and whose desire/want is to preserve.
 Are you ready for my Storytelling Superpower? But wait:

Here's an insight to help you decide which of the four is my Storytelling Superpower. I just spent the last hour trying to find the contest I entered the first couple scenes of The Blue Rose. No luck, but here's Kate's response to Theodore's request to let him help her:



She grimaces as she stands, her overworked muscles complaining. "I don't want anything to do with you. So tell God, or whomever you answer to, I never want to see you again. One day, I expect to see an angel that will listen and take me when I'm ready." She turns her back to him, tears spill onto her cheeks. "Go find someone who's actually dying and leave me alone!"

Infuriated, but relieved, she disappears around the bend.


(By-the-way, the piece took 3rd place and encouraged me to write the novel)

My Storytelling Superpower is: The Protector


Your superpower is writing superheroes! Your favorite characters see their world in danger and will do whatever it takes to protect it and those they love in it. These characters may not wear spandex and capes, but they show almost superhuman fortitude in their quest to prevent disaster, whatever the cost to themselves. From Scarlett O’Hara to James Bond to Iron Man, you’re drawn to characters who stand up to the forces of evil and protect what they believe in.

Do I agree?  

To a point. I have many stories outlined with The Blue Rose is in its final stages of editing. And one thing each character has in common is that they don't start out as protectors. They tend to move from one stage to the other. Most all, if not all, start out as an underdog, may or may not be a disrupter, but definitely become a survivor and then a protector.

 By-the-way, Kate is giving me a smug face. She's proud of her stance. Even though, in the end, it didn't do any good. (oh dear, spoilers)


Do you like fantasy? If so, check out author Mike Shelton, Facebook, and his next series. Book 1 is about to be released.  Truth Stone Book 1 of the Truthseer Archives


Want to join me and over 3,000 authors on Facebook as we 'Word Nerds Unite' and participate in the diyMFA Book Club? Click here.

Don't forget to stop by "Ten Little Gator Eggs" and Botanical Aquaponics on your way.
 
 
Books I'm reading:
diyMFA by Gabriela Pereira, Jacquelyn Mitchard
Dark Witch by Nora Roberts
Conquering Hope by Kionne L. McGhee
It Cannoli Be Murder by Karoline Barrett

Recently finished:

The Host by Stephanie Meyer
Prophecy of the Dragon by Mike Shelton (waiting for his next book)
Cordelia's Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold

Aquaculture update:
Took pictures of the Koi eating this morning and a video. 


 

No comments: