Translation for your convience

Monday, January 8, 2018

Here we go again

It's a new year and I'm lighting the fire.

The Blue Rose (Blue Rose)(Second Chances) is in the hands of my Beta readers waiting their feedback. Lydia wants me to tell her story. I've been putting her off. So much is going on in my life, not sure I can tell it effectively. Just went through one of the coldest weeks since I decided winter should be 80 degrees. (I think the coldest it got this week was 3 degrees Fahrenheit. Planning my move back into Florida)

To get through this stressful, cold winter, and get my butt back into writing I've decided to join a book club. We are on a month-long reading and writing challenge with the book, "diyMFA" by Gabriela Pereira, Jacquelyn Mitchard.

Want to join the bookclub? It's simple. Click here and sign up with your email. It's not too late.

Want to join us 500+ authors on Facebook as we 'Word Nerds Unite' and participate in this challenge? Click here.

Don't forget to stop by "Ten Little Gator Eggs" and Botanical Aquaponics on your way.


Okay, my big girl pants are one and I'm writing. Here's prompt #1 How did YOU become a writer?

In 2006, I opened a bookstore and welcomed the local bookclub, The Lamplighter's Writing Group, run by author Marjorie Doughty. Every week they bugged me to join them. I refused. I hated writing. Their requests brought back memories of my English writing class in high school and my poorly written assignments. I wasn't a writer. I didn't have anything to offer. After many months, maybe even a year, my husband joined them with his anecdotal stories. He encouraged me to sit with him and laugh along with the others. We talked about a story that was in my head, from my teen years, that wanted out. But I couldn't write. My high school teacher had proved that. There were much better writers in the class. The authors encouraged me to write. (The story is still on the shelf. It's not really a story, but more like a day dream that never went anywhere.)
Once a month we had a prompt and once a month we had a writing tip type class. The other weeks we just read. Over time I became confident with my writing. I wrote for the local newspaper, the South Dade NewsLeader, FamilyShare.com, FanStory.com (where my writing did fairly well), was published in a couple of anthologies, and, from a summer prompt, I wrote and published my Children's Book, "Ten Little Gator Eggs." (Don't you love the illustrations?)
So this is my story and that's all I have to say about that.

Presently reading:


diyMFA by Gabriela Pereira, Jacquelyn Mitchard
Dark Witch by Nora Roberts
Conquering Hope by Kionne L. McGhee
It Cannoli Be Murder by Karoline Barrett

Recently finished:

The Host by Stephanie Meyer
Prophecy of the Dragon by Mike Shelton (waiting for his next book)
Cordelia's Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold

Aquaculture update:

Too cold. System is wrapped up tight to get through the winter freezes and the plants are in the laundry room. Turns out the shed is still too cold despite my efforts to replace the rotten siding, put up some insulation, and install a heater. Will continue work when it looks like winter is losing. Can't wait.

2 comments:

Fi said...

To open your own bookstore would be good enough for me but to discover you're a writer too, bliss.

Thanks for sharing.

Author Dennise Sleeper said...

You're welcome and thank you for the comment. I miss the bookstore and the fun, community activities we had. Unfortunately, we were in an economically depressed area and the community did what it could to support us. But the landlord did not and raised the rent to a price that we couldn't support.