Translation for your convience

Thursday, March 1, 2018

diyMFA Book Club, Prompt #7: What's your favorite supporting character archetype and why?

The first thing that needs to be discussed here is what general characteristics make up a character archetypes. The authors of "diyMFA," Gabriela Pereira and Jacquelyn Mitchard give us some ideas in chapter 8 of their book:
  • The Protagonist-the most important character, of whom, the story centers around. The author's said, "Without one you don't have a story, just a newsreel or series of facts. (So true. I once read a book I wondered why it was published. I felt like the author took a piece of time and wrote what happened. I could not connect with any of the characters.)
    • Comes as the ordinary Joe or Jane
    • or the larger-than-life hero
  • The supporting Cast
    • The Villain/Antagonist-the character that does evil things, but believes his actions are justified.
    • The Love Interest-can be part of the central conflict of the story or a subplot.
    • The BFF or Sidekick-complement the protagonist's strengths and makes up for his weeknesses.
    • The Mentor-imparts wisdom and advice to the character.
    • The Fool-often the voice of reason in the story. 
For more detailed information about character archetypes, read chapter 8 in the diyMFA by Gabriela Pereira, Jacquelyn Mitchard.


As a writer, I thoroughly enjoy bringing out my character's good, and bad, sides. I work hard with my character to prevent a goody two shoes. I want them to be their true selves. And, Lord knows, I'm not perfect and not always good. So why should my character be perfect? And not all evil is purely evil. So why not show their good side. And some "evil" is only a character chosing what they think is positive and good. But for whom? This is why I must say my favorite supporting character archetype is the villain.

I love looking for, and finding, the good in people. I'm slow to look beyond what's in front of me, but I will eventually find the sunshine. The same goes for character archetype. I'm slow to add the balancing characteristics, but will eventually balance out my characters.

To help me do these I have a questionaire I go through as I create each character. I also have the reference book, "45 Master Characters Mythic Models for Creating Original Characters" by Victoria Lynn Schmidt. 

Now I ask you, what's your favorite supporting character archetype? Why?


Want to join us 500+ authors on Facebook as we 'Word Nerds Unite' and participate in this challenge? It's never too late. Even after the fact. Click here.  While you're here, check out the live, and not so live, broadcasts.

Don't forget to stop by "Ten Little Gator Eggs" and Botanical Aquaponics on your way.
  
Presently reading:
diyMFA by Gabriela Pereira, Jacquelyn Mitchard
Time and Again by Jack Finney
Sylo by D.J. MacHale (this series holds a special place in my heart. The character Tori Sleeper is my daughter.)

Recently finished:
Dark Witch by Nora Roberts
It Cannoli Be Murder by Karoline Barrett
Conquering Hope by Kionne L. McGhee
The Host by Stephanie Meyer
Prophecy of the Dragon by Mike Shelton (waiting for his next book)




Preparing for thoracic surgery as I learn more medical terms and conditions and learn to live in this aging body. Fighting high cholesterol, 268mg/DL, with Plexus MegaX 1 twice a day and essential oils: 1 drop Cassia Essential Oil and 2 drops Lemongrass Essential Oil in veggie caps twice a day or 2 drops Cassia Essential Oil and 4-5 drops Lemongrass Essential Oil in the veggie caps once a day. (Ensure the essential oil is safe for ingestion. Before injesting, discuss your plans with your Doctor. These oils can be used, 30 drops (15 drops each if mixing the Cassia and Lemongrass oils) mixed with an ounce of a carrier or fractionated oil, such as Fractionated Coconut Oil and rubbed into belly twice a day before a significant meal. Rub in a clockwise motion. This helps with digestion and circulation. (Never apply essential oils directly on the skin. For those with sensitivities, apply in a small test area before applying to the belly.)

Scheduling an MRI and a Cardiac Pet. Three days in a row and still fighting the, "I sent it to them yesterday," syndrome and the, "I'll call you back." (Just don't want the surgery pushed back due to the difficulty getting the needed tests done. Was supposed to have the surgery last June 2017, and the doctor decided to postpone it for a year. Seven months later, the cyst doubled in size, so the surgery is, once again, on.)

No comments: