Translation for your convience

Saturday, February 9, 2013

Drafts of Assignment are ready for review

I have finished one assignment for FamilyShare.com and presented it to the Lamplighters. I polished it using their suggestions and submitted it.Our son's Eagle Scout Project was today, February, 9, 2013, so I've had little time to continue other assignments. Will get back to them next week.

I finished reading Flory: A Miraculous Story of Survival by Flory Van Beek. This autobiography caught my eye because it was about the Holocaust and the first autobiography I'd read about someone in hiding and not in the camps. I have read few books, Night, The Sunflower, Sarah's Key and now Flory.

I enjoyed learning about the Holland Jews and felt for Flory and her family. I had difficultly with the constant repetition, but continued reading because I was interested in learning more about those that were able to hide.

This is a sad story of great family and friend loss as well as the triumph of surviving. Such a sad history for mankind that needs to be told and read to remind us not to go there ever again. (although we haven't seemed to learn and still go there).

I also finished reading Ride the River by Louis L'Amour. This story reminded me of True Grit by Charles Portis. My grandfather loved Louis L'Amour and this is the first time I've picked up one of his books. I love Echo Sackett and her strong female character who was not too tough to realize a good man when she found him.

Echo Sackett learns of an inheritance and must travel from her home in the hills of Tennessee to Philadelphia. Her skills as a mountain girl help her as she outsmarts thieves and ruffians interested in stealing her money. They catch up with her before she makes it home and claim the money as their own.

Through her travels she meets handsome Dorian Chantry who was sent to make sure she and the money make it home. Along the way he awakens her hormones and this spitfire of a girl may find herself settling down sooner than she expected.

I'm still reading A Familiar Rain by John Geddes. Some books are more transportable and this book, although really good is an ebook and will take me longer to finish.

Happy reading, writing, revising and just plain spending time with your family. (even if it's staying up late finishing posters you've been bugging all week for your scout to finish.)

No comments: