Translation for your convience

Friday, February 22, 2013

'Let's Write a Short Story'

I know I  said we'd check in weekly, but Sundays are not necessarily a good day for that so I'm going to check in now and try to keep the check ins on Fridays or Saturdays.

Let's Write a Short Story! by Joe Bunting has placed a challenge before us and I'm going to take it. Here's what I've done so far:
  • I've set up the parts
    •  Character has a problem
    • Character tries to solve the problem several times
    • Character has success or failure
I have two main and one secondary character. The story will take place in the Florida Everglades and involves a crashed space pod. Within the pod is the prince of the planet (not yet named) who is saved and hidden by a recluse who lives off the land in the glades. This alien is a familiar part of folklore, so I've checked out several books at the library to update myself on what we know. Hopefully next week I'll feel confident enough that this will work as my alien and I'll let you know who the alien is.

What's your story about? Do you have your characters and storyline thought out? If not, it's not too late. I'll update again next week with the progress of the character development and storyline progress.

I received my teachers response to my hurricane story. She has some really great ideas. I'm going to set it aside for now since I'm busy getting my feet wet with the freelance position. My next assignment (number 7) is due the end of March. She okayed my revising my story, The Power and the Glory. I've been allotted a few more words, so I think I'm going to attempt Creative Nonfiction again. I'll pull out the book, Writing Creative Nonfiction by Carolyn Forche and Philip Gerard and refresh my memory.

Looks like I'm going to be pretty busy these next few weeks.

My first assignment for the freelance job is done and waiting for publication. The second is still in editing and I'm waiting for approval of the third and working on submitting a query for numbers four and five. I'll let you know as soon as it's up at the FamilyShare.com website.

In the meantime, happy reading, researching, writing, revising, and submitting.


No comments: