Translation for your convience

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Rage of a Storm is not creative nonfiction

I received an email response from the Creative Nonfiction Foundation--"Thank you for your message. I asked around the CNF office, and unfortunately no one can think of any nonfiction pieces where a natural force is personified. It seems, in my opinion, that to give a hurricane a voice would be more of a fiction piece than nonfiction."

So there we have it, Rage of a Storm is fiction. Will attempt creative nonfiction another time. I've put too much time and effort into this one to drop it just to satisfy a specific category of writing. I've plenty of time to get it  right on another story. In the meantime I'll continue learning about this elusive category and maybe an idea will surface.

I want to read one more small piece that I think fits Rage of a Storm before I submit it to my instructor. Then I can put all my efforts into Assignment 6.

I've a really bad headache today and yesterday so I didn't do too much research, but I read some insights from creative nonfiction writers in the Telling True Stories: A nonfiction Writers' Guide from the Nieman Foundation at Harvard University.

I will try to work on my flash fiction I'd like to enter into WOW contest. Hopefully I'll get if finished before the end of the month. If not, it'll be good for another one later on. I get too stressed when a deadline looms, so I'm not going to put too much pressure on myself to meet it. I learned about the contest last Wednesday and knew at the time it would be really close. Most of the time, even short stories take me months to perfect to my satisfaction.

Happy writing, revising, submitting and researching.

No comments: